Dali. ___
For some odd reason, tonight I'm in the mood for Salvador Dali.In January 2007, I visited Dali's town and the place of his self-made museum-- Figueras, Spain.
Sofia and I met in Barcelona for New Years. We lived together in Modena, Italy-- teaching at the same language schools and spending a lot of time together. She was 1/2 Italian, 1/2 English. Knew both languages perfectly-- perfect accents. What everyone wishes for.
Sofie's father was a famous photographer in Italy that, curiously, collected jars of honey from all over the world. In his little dank kitchen in Prato (a city in Tuscany), he cooked up the best Carbonara Pasta IN THE WORLD and then allowed me to pick what honey we would eat for dessert. There were glass jars that looked self-packed from one of his photography trips to Africa or Southeast Asia. There were jars that were labeled and price-tagged from specialty shops in Europe. Such a conglomerate. Such a wealth of stories in that honey cabinet.
So, Sofia...
We met up in Spain just after I had spent a week and a half in Paris. Some time by myself, some time with my parents for Christmas. They had flown to meet me there. It was my mom's 50th birthday that December, and it was her wish.
I had arrived to Barcelona late.
My flight from Paris had been cancelled.
Gotta love Ryan Air/Easy Jet. My flight was literally 2 euro (a special promo price), but the airport was 30 miles away and when I got there, it was cancelled. Had to pay 20 euro for the bus all over again, back to the city, back to the hostel I had been staying at. Ha, but back to PARIS. :) Spent time at Notre Damn that extra day-- and more luxurious time at my beloved Shakespeare and Co bookshop and historical nexus....
But, that extra night in Paris ended up connecting me with Adam/Jose-- New Yorker best friends on vacation-- who I would later work with and share life with in New York City, as a resident, 6 months later. A serendipitous, providential twist of fate...
Wendy and Julia, my Santa Cruz CA friends, met us as well in Barcelona.
They were my Poetry Group friends-- a poetry group Wendy, Molly and I started the Summer of '06-- The Monday Poets' Society. Still in existence today. I actually missed our monthly meeting tonight. Had a Greek dinner with Natalie on the West Side instead.
Barcelona.
We had a crazy New Year's Eve night, where, in searching for a restaurant, all 4 of us got lost and ended up in a dark, quiet neighborhood when midnight came. Anti-climactic and very un-Barcelona New Year's Eve stroke-of-midnight. Sofia and I ended up on the main street later that "night" / early morning having Tapas and watching the sun come up.
The next day, New Year's Day, just Sofia and I ended up on a train to Figueras. I took this picture that morning on the way to the train. One of my one-on-one English students from Modena had told me that I had to go to Figueras. She described the museum that Dali had designed for his own works-- the same location one of his first paintings had originally been displayed ((she told me in English :) ... yey for oh-so-wonderful English conversation practice where I learned so many historical and travel gems)). I knew it was a must-see.So, Sofie and I took in every square inch of that museum. So colorful. So strange. With the big eggs and bread loaves on the exterior of the building. Ah! I found some pictures of my own... Here and Here and
I remember this ceiling work (left)... There are many details to it as well... A photo I took of a corner of that same ceiling is Here ...
I also loved the sculpture on the steps leading up to the museum... similar to this one photoed here. There's something about it that moves me.Of all the fun pieces of the museum (there being a few installations that were so great), it was the section of drawings that captured me the most.
I have a thing for unfinished sketches. Sketches that were just observation-based scribbles, or were studies for a later painting.I remember the first time I discovered my love of sketches was in the National Gallery of Scotland in Edinburgh. They were Rembrandt's sketches of Jesus' acts as told in the Gospels of the New Testament. Those sketches are forever in my mind... The light and motion and mystery captured by them.
It's amazing too to behold a painting done by a modernist-- or a symbolist, or some such wacky mind-- that looks more "traditional" or representational, even be it impressionistic.
I remember going to The Picasso Museum in Paris and seeing his earlier works...This one (left) that Dali painted of a scene near Figueras is beautiful to me... and even more beautiful because it was dreamed by the same mind that expressed far more unbelievable creations.
So, a toast. A toast to Salvador Dali specifically. The man that made unparalleled symbols and forms. A toast to remembering the gems from history-- not just art history, but my personal history-- that bring gratitude and joy... :)


3 Comments:
My grandfather worked at the Bank of America in Carmel in the 40's. Salvador Dali had a house there and used to come in with his wife, pretending that he spoke no English, and making her do all the translating. Everyone humored him because, well, he was Salvador Dali.
WHAT?! AMAZING ROSA. AMAZING.
I went to Barcelona once and got robbed. It was my own fault, I was off my guard and an easy target. Never mind, I still enjoyed the city but don't think that I will rush back.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home